On 15th September 2016, The “Reorganization, rationalization and simplification of Port Authorities” decree was published in the Official Journal of Italan Government. The italian port reform reviews a system which has been in place for over 20 years.
The main points of the Ports Decree are
- the reduction in the number of locally-based governing bodies from 24 Port Authorities into 15 Port System Authorities;
- the simplification of the procedures for passenger and cargo transit;
- central coordination under MIT.
The North Tyrrhenian Sea Port Authority incorporates these ports: Livorno, Piombino, Capraia, Portoferraio and Rio Marina (the last two belong to the Island of Elba);
At the management level, control of the ADSPs is more vertical, with the office of the Minister assuming key importance. Instead of the former port committees (which included all interested groups concerned with the port) there is a “management committee” made up of members representing the public-interest.
The North Tyrrhenian Sea Ports System Authority has these functions:
- addressing, programming, coordinating, promoting and controlling port operations referred to in Article 16 (1), and other commercial and industrial activities carried out in ports, with regulatory powers and orders, including with regard to safety Risks of accidents associated with such activities and the conditions of work hygiene;
- Ordinary and extraordinary maintenance of the common parts in the port area, including that for the maintenance of the seabed, subject to an agreement with the Ministry of Public Works providing for the use of funds for this purpose available on the state of forecast of the same administration;
- Relying on and controlling the activities for the provision of services to port users of services of general interest which are not incidental or strictly connected to the port operations referred to in Article 16 (1), identified by a decree of the Minister of Transport and Navigation , To be issued within thirty days from the date of entry into force of this law.
- Coordination of the administrative activities exercised by the bodies and public bodies in the field of ports and in the demanial maritime areas included in the territorial constituency;
- exclusive management of the areas and assets of the marine democracies included in their district;
- promote forms of connection with port and interportional logistic systems.